Monday, May 23, 2011

Feeling Fowl

Before we put in our offer, I scoured my new town's chicken policy. And yep, chickens (hens only!), are allowed. I had chickens and ducks growing up, so it's not a foreign concept to me. Nothing beats the early morning enthusiasm of chickens who are ready to be fed. They are such silly, joyful creatures. And to be honest, I wouldn't have considered that house had it been in an anti-chicken zone.

It certainly doesn't help that I've found a few of my new neighbors who are also chicken-friendly. I've been living vicariously through Sinfonian's blog, and I'm pretty much in love with his chicks.

And 30 minutes ago I discovered Pam at The Blue Between. Check out her coop below:

Photo from The Blue Between

This coop really seals the deal for me. I doubt I'll be able to get my ducks in a row for this year with the renovation and other projects going on.. but I can't help but daydream. Perhaps 2012 will be the Year of the Chicken for us!

Seattle Tilth is organizing a Chicken Coop & Urban Farm Tour on July 9th. I hate to say it, but I'm almost more excited about this event than I am for Maui.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks or the nod Wishingbee! And yes, Pam's coop rocks. Thankfully all but one of my doors are simple ones, as she's got me terrified of them.

    Oh, and if you're interested in chicken posts, my next several will be all about chickens, as my garden is flailing around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I completely forgot. My brother did the research on MLT chickens. No limit on hens, but no roos as MLT has no foul policy, but relies on the State's noise ordinance which means, if you've got a rooster and someone complains, all your chickens go!

    And in case you're so inclined, you can have one hooved animal in MLT, which makes no sense, because (aside from horses which is why the ordinance was written) hooved animals are social and need more than one for company! Insane. And our current council cares not what sustainable folks want, despite their desire to make MLT more "sustainable". Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I feel like MLT really has its own charm and quirks. I can't wait to make it our home! Now we just have to get through the renovation. :) But that hasn't stopped me from picking up two books on chickens and chicken coops. Research can never start too early!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Wishingbee! I'm glad my coop inspires, however, you should probably start building sooner rather than later, as it's taking forever!! Chickens are so fun, you're going to be happy when you get them :) And about the Seattle Tilth's chicken coop tour, I'm in Edmonds, so I guess... that would be too far? I don't know, but I think it would be fun to go see some Seattle coops :)

    Sinfonian, the doors are not as bad as the hanging them on hinges ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't think that Edmonds would be too far, as they do a lot of events in Issaquah. Seems like it'd only be fair to share some love with those of us up north!

    Maybe I will consider attacking this sometime this year. I got to dig around in my new yard last night, and found all sorts of cinder blocks and bricks. First thing I thought? "Oh, sweet, these will be perfect for the base of the coop!" And so it begins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We go to Issaquah 5 times a year for Village Theatre... we love musical theater. Yeah, we could have chosen Everett, but our seats are far better in Issaquah, so we go there. Free babysitting is a plus!

    My feeling, if it's something you really enjoy, it's not too far to go. I will be passing on the coop tour though, as mine's almost done and I'm not changing it now! hehe. Now I know why they charge thousands for them. The work alone is worth it.

    ReplyDelete