Monday, May 14, 2012

Centerboard Foils

The centerboard pieces have been cut out of 3/4 Okoume plywood, as of 10am this morning.

Next woodworking step, creating the foil shape. 

There's a variety of techniques for getting a great foil shape.   I'll be opting for using a router jig to carve out the shape, as featured on Ducksworks website here, and I'll be following in the footsteps of Kenjamin on the Small Craft Advisor's forum (photos of his centerboard build here).     If you read my previous post, you'll know that this stage has been haunting me a bit.   It makes it a little less daunting seeing someone else tackle it.

Part of the reason why I chose SCAMP is because of the Small Craft Advisor's forum.  It has already been tremendously helpful to have a forum to discuss any issues or questions that crop up.  Also, there's a build manual that they offer for the SCAMP, so it's like having a seasoned old salt right there next to you holding your hand while you're building this thing. 

My goals for this week:

Create jig for centerboard foils.
Buy a router. 
Loft 3 pieces.
Cut out plywood patterns for said pieces.

So I've noticed that I've had more people stopping by than usual- hello fellow boat lovers!  I'll put a separate tab up for you so you won't have to sift through my day-to-day rambles about failed frosting flowers and such.  

For those of you who are going to be bored to tears regarding boat building, I'll be sure to throw in photos of my majestic bearded chickens. Or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment