Sunday, May 6, 2012

Obsessing.

It's 5 in the morning, there's a full moon out (in fact, it's the supermoon, the brightest moon of 2012), and instead of sleeping I'm obsessing over my little sailing ship.

I've fallen flat on all of my goals this week, but I am aware that this is a marathon, not a sprint, so slow and steady is in order here.

I've made a bit of an adjustment to my plans.  Original plan:  draw out all pieces on graph paper.  Adhere graph paper to marine plywood (Okoume) then cut out the pieces.   New plan:  Use the graph paper as patterns on cheaper plywood.  Cut out pieces for permanent patterns.  Use plywood patterns on nice Okoume.

This will add a bit more work, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.  It'll give me a feel for some of my new tools, and it'll be nice to have full sized, hardy patterns that I can stash away in the event I get the urge to build a second SCAMP after this one.


So, on to progress!


I have both the centerboard and the rudder sketched out now:


This isn't the final version, but you get the idea.

I was at a loss to find a flexible enough batten (something to curve around points to trace to get a fair line) when I remembered that one of our blinds at our condo that had been chewed by our cat.  So I brought it to our house, cut it into a 1" strip, and voila, flexible, functional batten! 

AND I have 18lbs of lead for the centerboard:


I bought sheet lead from Rotometals (3/32 inch, 1'x3') on Tuesday.  It shipped Wednesday, and was on my doorstep by Friday.  I was amazed, especially considering I had paid for economy shipping.  I'm very pleased with my purchase.  So if you're in the market for some sheet lead, I'd start there.

No comments:

Post a Comment