Tuesday, May 8, 2012

B.O.A.T. (break out another thousand)

Just thought it'd be good to inform you that the boat is moving full steam ahead.  I have a goal of actually starting to build it by June.  I want to spend my 31st birthday (June 6) doing nothing but working on my boat.  I really can't think of a better way to spend it.

What I've done so far:

I'd say that I have 40% of the pieces lofted.  By 'lofted', I mean that I have them drawn up to full scale.  I am drawing the pieces onto graph paper, then I'll be adhering the graph paper to inexpensive plywood, cutting it, and then using the plywood piece as a permanent pattern.  I think that will be the best way to get perfectly symmetrical pieces for the bulkheads.   And, if God forbid, I end up loving this procedure, I will have a stash of premade patterns to start with, saving me a lot of time.

Drawing out the pieces has been tremendously helpful so far, as it forces me to contemplate how everything goes together before I touch a single piece of lumber.    Marine plywood, at least the good stuff, is pricey,  so I want to be absolutely positive that I know what I'm doing before I even touch the jigsaw.

Tools have been acquired.  I may need a table saw, but so far it sounds like Edensaw Lumber will be able to give me all the cuts I'll require.  Free delivery, too, so I can't beat that!

Pictured is my new favorite batten (a blind my cat shredded at one point) and 18#s of lead sheet (which will be a weight for my centerboard). 

Onwards!

**********Edited to Add**********
 I called Edensaw Lumber today and ordered my first round of plywood!  19 sheets; Okoume for the centerboard and rudder, 12 sheets of Meranti plywood (my practice + pattern piece boards) and 5 sheets of 3/4" particle board, which will be my building jig.   It's arriving tomorrow!
**********

No comments:

Post a Comment