Thursday, April 19, 2012

Case of the Buildies & Discussing the Centerboard

I'm not going to waste time with any lengthy personal introduction as my first post.   There's a boat to talk about!

I've got the plans, I have the time, and I have a loyal sponsor husband who is willing to support me. I've got a shelter to work in, the build plans printed out, and, I swear to God, if I don't get my hands dirty soon, I'm going to go crazy.

I suffer from an affliction I like to call The Buildies. As I get older I'm coming to terms with the fact that if I'm not doing something with my hands, I get anxious. I need to create tangible, useful things. Soap, food, chicken coops, tables, clothes- it doesn't really matter what the medium is, as long as it has a specific purpose and is useful in our life.

Plus, it doesn't help that I've been talking about building a damn boat for the last 15 years. Yup, this thing is going to happen.

So what's first? The centerboard.

I've been scouring the web endlessly for words of wisdom on the topic. The top things I've found (in no particular order:

1. Duckworks Magazine's Constructing A NACA 0012 Rudder andNACA 0010 Daggerboard Foils
2. How to Build Rudder Blades & Centerboards by J.R. Watson (This is a pdf)
3. Joe's Navigator Site:  Chapter 2: The Centerboard (fantastic photos that really helped me understand the above PDF)

I'm particularly fascinated by the technique that is highlighted in the first link.  Essentially you make a topographic map of your foil, then smooth out the hills.  As someone who doesn't know the first thing about foils (they're something you use in your hair, right?!) this technique seems to be the easiest for my non-spatially blessed brain to grasp.

I've decided to not build from a kit.  I've been told that I should, as it'll speed up the build and make my life easier.  But you know what?  This is a life dream of mine.  And sometimes suffering makes the reward all the sweeter.  Also, this may be the best way to learn how to swear like a sailor.

No comments:

Post a Comment