Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Optometrist Appt Today!

I am blessed with great vision, however with a dose of astigmatism. Essentially my eyeballs aren't perfectly round, so it takes longer for me to read and focus on something. When I go into malls or other areas with a lot of visual stimuli I will get headaches really quickly, and I am really uncomfortable driving over 45mph because by the time I really see something, it's already whirred by me. Seriously, it scares the hell out of me. Fortunately for me and the rest of the world, I walk everywhere or take the back routes (25mph, ftw!).

I've tried glasses, and having a gap between my face and the glasses causes a really distorted, drunk feeling. I can't walk in them, I've almost fallen down the stairs wearing them. They're great when I'm reading, but walking around I tend to high-step and still manage to trip over everything. I've tried two different prescriptions with no luck.

I finally got to the point where I am so frustrated by the lag in my vision that I set up another appointment with the optometrist, this time for contacts. If glasses aren't cutting it, maybe contacts will be exactly what I need. Here's to hoping.

3 comments:

  1. I hope contacts work out for you. It takes some time for your eyes to adjust to wearing them (and for me they seemed a bit blurry at first, which blinking fixed) but it's so nice not to have to worry about glasses! Buy yourself a bottle of Visine for contacts and carry it on you and you'll be good to go. I miss wearing contacts, especially during the rainy season when my glasses get all wet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that I'd love contacts so much! It's a little disturbing squeezing them off the eyeball, but I think I have the hang of it. I can SEE!! And with no blurry gaps in my vision. I did put on my left contact in inside out yesterday, that was an adventure.

    I definitely need to get some visine though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, the inside-out contact is a mistake you won't make often. Also, if you ever happen to put one in your eye without noticing a speck of dust on it... it's amazing how much pain one little speck of dust can inflict. Eventually you'll get used to putting them in and taking them out and you'll be able to just kinda slide the lense off your eye without actually grabbing it. The grabbing thing still grosses me out.

    ReplyDelete