Friday, February 2, 2007

Ode to Handbags!

My mom, bless her heart, is a purse person. I could never understand why she'd want to go into the purse section of any department store and handle a few choice handbags- checking out the pockets, the zipper construction, the way the bag feels on an arm and on a shoulder. It used to frustrate me to end, and I refused to carry a bag of my own. I resorted to making wallets out of duct tape and throwing them into my cargo pockets.

But now... Oh, how I understand.

Nothing is better (or sweeter) than picking out a new handbag. Fondling the clasps, smelling the leather, examining the stitching. I've run into a few "You paid HOW MUCH for that?!" from my coworkers, most of which do not have a designer handbag of their own. Once you own one though- once you've had a taste- you will be convinced that it is a worthy cause to venture forth and invest in. YES, I said invest. You will be surprised on how much differently you will be treated with a Louis Vuitton on your arm, the envious glances from the person in line at the market, the questions.. "Can I hold your bag? I don't think I've seen a real one before."

But the most important thing about a new purse is quite simply how much better you will feel with it on your arm. To know that your finances, your life, your daily essentials ARE important enough to you to place in such a receptacle. You must understand that it is not an indication of how shallow you are as an individual, but serves as a statement on how well you deserve to be treated.

Remember...
Your purse will always fit, even if you gain 20lbs.
Never carry a fake, unless you want people to treat you as such.
Purses can make good weapons. Arm yourself wisely!

2 comments:

  1. Your views on your purse. . and the reactions you've gotten. . remind me a lot of my fountain pen. I love it and am always glad to have it. I've definitely gotten strange looks from people who cannot comprehend spending so much on a pen, though. And it wasn't even that expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for shiny things!

    I know my notes at school improved dramatically when I had a pen I enjoyed writing with. It's the little things that make life a bit more pleasant... If you have to write a lot, it's a worthy investment!

    ReplyDelete