Friday, March 16, 2012

The Calm Before the Spring

I love this time of year.

In the raised bed, my garlic, chives, and fava beans are growing like weeds. Because of our new puppy, I may be moving my garlic, chives, and herbs to the backyard.

On the right side of our yard, my precious rhubarb managed to survive. I bought it late last year, and I wasn't certain it'd make it.


We have a volunteer primrose. It wasn't here last year, so I'm not really sure where it came from. It's absolutely welcome to stay, however.

Just behind the gnome is a rose bush. I aggressively cut back and transplanted our roses. They were long and scraggly and battle worn. I figured a fresh start would be good for them. All three of them have lush green foliage starting to emerge.

I'll be planting potatoes this weekend! I'm excited to show you how I'm going to do it. I've made two more raised beds (3x3) from left over lumber from a picnic table I'm building. I can't decide if I want to plant even more beans, or if I want to branch out and perhaps get a dedicated asparagus bed going. Decisions, decisions!

There is very little better in life than having a garden to plan. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm planting one bed of potatoes.... but waiting a month to plant the rest. Ya gotta toss a few in on 3/17, but it's just too early to do all for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise choice! Hope you had fun playing in the dirt today. :)

    ReplyDelete