Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chicken Coops + Chicken Embryos!

Chicken Embryo Update: We've got 10/16 eggs still in the incubator, 8 of which are very obviously developing. How obvious? Well, they're moving around, very visibly excited about the process of becoming a chicken. Egg 16 is a pretty enthusiastic little fetus:

Some of them weren't as lucky.

We're on the right track to having chickens, so what better way to celebrate than to start on our Minimal LE coop?

Here's what our coop looked like yesterday:

This is what it looks like today:

It has been an interesting process building a coop with only materials we can fit in a car. So far, so good!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You've really embarked on a serious chicken adventure. Not only have you a serious egg before the chicken thing going on, but you're in a serious build project as well. Very nicely done I may add. Remember the 1 square foot of vent space per chicken, or course. Those triangles on the side would work nicely with hardware cloth over them. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Let me know if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sinfonian!! You're alive, yay!!

    Haha, it really is the egg before the chicken! And I'm definitely counting my chicks before they've hatched. But I figure I'm going to have chickens no matter what, even if the eggs don't thrive.

    Yup, that is hardware cloth around the triangles! I will be adding trim along the edges to further secure it, as it's just stapled in for now.

    ReplyDelete