Saturday, August 4, 2012

31st Anniversary of the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding

Today was the 31st anniversary of the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding.

Photo stolen from my husband.

Not only did we have a chance to visit their beautiful school, but we also had the chance to ogle SCAMP #1 AND meet the designer, John Welsford.


The first time I saw a photo of a SCAMP I laughed.  She wasn't, or so I thought, what I was looking for.  But then, I saw her in motion.  Such purpose.  Such intent.  And in my heart I knew, absolutely, that'd she'd be perfect for us. 


 Sigh. 

Enough waxing poetically. Progress update!

Centerboard lead has been epoxied in place (6x6" pieces, each 3/32" thick, 14lbs worth).  My centerboard now weighs a little over 30lbs, not including the final fiberglass sheath. 

Hole cut out:

14lbs of lead, in place.


1/4"  Meranti cap (I thought it'd save on epoxy and that it'd result in surface that's easier to sand).


And three bulkheads and the stem have been epoxied.


And I've finally gotten around to scarffing together my hull bottom  I'll be cutting it out and epoxying it first thing tomorrow!


I've done the remaining steps in my head, and I'm beginning to realize that I may have a 3D boat sooner than I think.  Everything required to start a boat-like shape should be done by next Saturday.   Excited doesn't even begin to explain it.


So, does the above bulkhead remind you of George Carlin, or of Mr. Mackey?

2 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy and I like it. My biggest milestone so far is reading the plans over and trying to finger out how they go in 3D. Some more stare time on my part and I will get more confidence to start my Scamp build too. Keep inspiring us with more progress.

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you, Arthur! I am terrified of what will happen when I have all of the pieces to assemble- I have a vague idea of where everything goes, but I'm not sure how it all clicks together.

      I have been reading (and re-reading) this thread on the SCA forum. It's a build thread for a SCAMP built from plans: http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-board2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60 It's been helpful for me! I

      Delete