Friday, September 23, 2011

Happy Autumnal Equinox!

What a gorgeous first day of fall, no? Makes you think about gardening, doesn't it?

I've decided to grow fava beans over the fall and winter for a spring harvest. I figure that I'm not going to get much else out of my garden in the meantime... and these guys looks like they'll be worth the wait. Fava beans make a great alternative to chickpeas in hummus, and if you pick them young enough you can eat this particular variety ('statissa') just like a fresh green bean. Which, for the record, is the #1 daily consumed vegetable in our household.

What's great about this variety is that it only grows up to 24" tall, half as high as other fava beans. And that means a lot to me, given that my garden is in our front yard. I want to keep everything as neat as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment