Monday, September 6, 2010

Lo-Fi Love

The hubs wants a new camera. Not that this is a surprise, as I knew his skills and his love of photography would propel him towards a more advanced camera. The sad thing is, he's having a heck of a time finding just the right one. As much as I love traveling to camera store to camera store, I do know that he's getting antsy finding his photographic soulmate.

And even sadder news, I managed to fall into a torrid little camera love triangle myself. So we've got two antsy photonerds under the same roof, both bemoaning our inabilities to find just the right camera.

He's going into a more technologically advanced direction. Software engineer, falling in love with something complicated and tricky? Yup, sounds like my husband (explains why he likes me, doesn't it?). Meanwhile, I fell in love with something simpler and artsy. Yup, sounds like a graphic design geek.

So, I know it's not Wishful Wednesdays... but I think these merit a bit of discussion, especially with trip next month.. I want to make a decision quickly so I can get a few rolls of practice in.

All three cameras are lo-tech, low fidelity cameras. They are valued because of their cheapness- the plastic lenses, bleeding light, and old school film technology- these traits cause magic to happen- beautiful vignetted, dreamlike photos. Sign me up!

So without further ado, let me introduce you to the ladies:

Camera #1: Holga.

Pros: Great name. Cheapest lady of the three. Beautiful vignetting. Medium format film. Cult following, lots of great and fun photo competitions.
Cons: Fixed lens. Because of shoddy construction, only one real aperture: f13. Kind of large. Have to tape it with electrical tape to prevent light flooding (in some cameras).

Camera #2: Diana +:

Pros: Sleek design. Softer, more dreamlike pictures. Also medium format. Lots of lenses to play with, including fish-eye.
Cons: Less vignetting. More expensive than the Holga.

Camera #3: Super sleek design, easy to pack. Uses normal 35mm film (easier to process)- can put two pictures side by side on one exposure- up to 72 pictures per roll of film!
Cons: No additional lenses. Less vignetting than the Holga. More expensive.

Sample photos of the three:

Holga:
Picture from Here

Diana +:

From Here

Diana Mini:

Picture found Here

So I'm kind of stuck. Yesterday afternoon I was adamant I wanted the Holga. Last night, the Diana. This morning, the Holga. Now, the Diana Mini.

My current thoughts on the matter are: I'll be packing my Canon DSLR as it is, so I want something small and light. The double frame option will allow more creative compositions: I can snap an establishing shot then something all artsy in the second frame... It'd be a nice way to capture our trip. Or attempt to capture our trip.

Urf.

Tough life, isn't it? Can't help but feel blessed that this is my major worry of the day.

5 comments:

  1. I like "Diana" the best. The mini is my second choice. But I really know nothing about photography...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now no longer debating the Holga, but instead trying to decided between the two Dianas. I found someone selling every lens I could ever want for the full-sized Diana, along with an adapter for my Canon.

    Having to change film every 12-36 shots depending on format will be a bit of a pain compared to 72, but hey, that's part of the joy of film photography, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like the mini takes a more "postcard" picture and the Diana takes a more "vintage" picture. I think between the two the mini has kinda grown on me... I say get both! *That's* part of the joy of film photography!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I would love to get both, but there's no way I'm going to pack three cameras and lenses on this trip. Although the mini is hardly a burden to pack.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. See? You'd only be packing 2 1/2 cameras! Totally doable.

    ReplyDelete