Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Chicken Salad Bar - AKA the Greenhouse

I built my three hens a little addition to the chicken run to use up some of the scrap hard wire cloth and lumber I had floating around in the shed.   It's a little 3'x3' pen that I can open up for their snacking pleasure.
 I have two points of access- the closest side in the photo below can be completely removed so I can muck it out / add more grass / whatever. 
 I threw in some grass seed that I had on hand and it's just starting to take off. 


I'll let them have access to it for an hour or so a day, once the grass is filled in and jungle-y.

My hope with this addition is to increase the nutritional value and production of the eggs that my hens provide.  I have no idea if it'll help or not, but I bet they'll have a blast destroying it. :)

2 comments:

  1. so... it's a buffet salad bar then? :D
    All You Can Eat and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, exactly! I should make a little sign for it. :)

      Delete